25 May Power factor. What is it, & should I care?
What is power factor?
Power Factor is a measure of how effectively incoming power is used in your electrical system and is defined as the ratio of Real (working) power to Apparent (total) power.This is the measure by which the power companies are charging you.
You energy company have changed the way they bill you, and are now charging you for reactive power. Meaning you could be paying for electricity that you are not using. All facilities consume a certain amount of Re-Active (waste) power as well as the Real (working) power. Your old bills were based on a kW (kilowatt) demand tariff and charged you for the Real power you actually use. However, the new kVA (kilovolt-ampere) tariff, charges you for the power you use and the waste power you don’t use.
Atom Power recommend the installation of a Static VAr Generator (SVG) Unit (sinexcel australia), the latest in PFC Technology. By installing this Power Factor Correction system you reduce the amount of wasted energy and lower the cost of your bills. Atom Power can help you understand how much you are paying for electricity that you are not using and give you advice on the best energy saving solution for your business. Give us a call today on 1300 922 883 to discuss your specific needs.
- Compensate both inductive and capacitive loads
- Dynamic step-less compensation allows for responsive kVAr injections as required at each specific moment in time
- Can maintain a power factor of 0.99 lagging or UNITY if required
- Compensate for 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, & 11th harmonics for up to half of rated capacity
- Correct load imbalances
- Not affected by resonance
- Easy to install, commission, transport, use, & maintain
- Act as a voltage stabiliser on top of reactive power compensation & load balancing
- Up to 500kVAr capacity in a single tier but can also operate at low voltages
- Can be used with existing power factor correction systems & allow for unlimited parallel connections in all formats